“The world is not to be put in order, the world is in order. It is for us to put ourselves in unison with this order.” -Henry Miller
Immortal Movie Lines
– Wait a minute… Wait a minute… You ain’t heard nothin’ yet!
– All right, Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close up.
– Bond, James Bond.
– Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.
– Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
– Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
– I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.
– You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.
– What’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?
– Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room.
– It’s alive! It’s alive!
– Made it, Ma! Top of the world!
– You’ve gotta ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?
– I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.
– I am Spartacus!
– Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?
– Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
– In Switzerland they had brotherly love – and 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
– Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
– Houston, we have a problem.
– Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.
– What we’ve got here is failure to communicate.
– You talking to me?
– Round up the usual suspects.
– I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
– Love means never having to say you’re sorry.
– A martini. Shaken, not stirred.
– I only like two kinds of men, domestic and imported.
– Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
– They call me Mister Tibbs!
– I want to be alone.
– You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
– I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!
– Go ahead, make my day.
– Show me the money!
– Badges? We ain’t got no badges! We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!
– Well, nobody’s perfect.
– Goodness, what lovely diamonds … Goodness has nothing to do with it, dearie.
– I’ll have what she’s having.
– Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.
– Stella! Hey, STELLA!!
– I am big! It’s the pictures that got small.
– Oh, no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.
– Tell ‘em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper.
– Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown.
– When I’m good I’m very good, when I’m bad I’m better.
– What do you do? … I go to high school.
– Play it, Sam. Play ‘As Time Goes By.’
– Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.
– I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
– I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
– Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me. Aren’t you?
– Why a four year old child could understand this. Run out and get me a four year old child, I can’t make head or tail out of it.
– I’m shocked, shocked…to find that gambling is going on here.
– Sawyer, you’re going out a youngster, but you’ve got to come back a star!
– As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.
– You’re gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.
– A man in the house is worth two in the street.
– One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don’t know.
– Who’s on first.
– Yo, Adrian!
– If you build it, he will come.
– We rob banks.
– Shane. Shane. Come back!
– I don’t want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.
– Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.
– We’ll always have Paris.
– I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
– There’s no place like home.
– Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
– My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you.
– E.T. phone home.
– After all, tomorrow is another day.
– Hello, I must be going.
– May the Force be with you.
– Here’s looking at you, kid.
The Phone Book was created for The Radio Foundation by Executive Producer Larry Josephson. This episode was written and produced by Zoe Saunders, recorded and mastered by Robert Auld. The Phone Book is funded in part by The Radio Foundation. This is John Lithgow.
Abbas the Great of Persia
Alfonso the Astrologer of Castile
Baldwin the Purple-born of Constantinople
Boleslaw the Brave of Poland
Catherine the Great of Russia
Charles the Bald of France
Charles the Fat of France
Charles the Foolish of France
Charles the Simple of France
Colomon the Bookish of Hungary
Edward the Confessor of England
Elizabeth the Virgin Queen of England
Ethelred the Unready of England
Hereward the Wake of England
Isabel the Redemptress of Brazil
Isabella the She-Wolf of France
Ivailo the Cabbage of Bulgaria
Ivan the Terrible of Russia
James the Rash of Majorca
John the Blind of Bohemia
Karl the Sudden of Austria
Louis the Stammerer of France (son of Charles the Bald)
Macbeth the Red King of Scotland
Magnus the Barefoot of Norway
Niall of the Nine Hostages of Ireland
Richard the Lionheart of England
Selim the Grim of the Ottoman Empire
Sviatopolk the Accursed of Kiev
Thomas the Albanian-Slayer of Epirus
Thorfin the Skullsplitter of the Vikings
Vlad the Impaler of Transylvania
William the Conqueror of England
Zygirant the Old of Norway
Acronyms, Initialisms & Abbreviations Dictionary
30th Edition • Edited by Mary Rose Bonk
POB……… Paris Opera Ballet
POB……… Parts on Change
POB……… Peanut, Oil and Beeswax
POB……… Penicillin, Oil, and Beeswax
POB……… Peripheral Order Buffer
POB……… Persons on Board
POB……… Pilot on Board
POB……… Place of Birth
POB……… Point of Beginning
POB……… Point of Business
POB……… Port of Baltimore
POB……… Post Office Box
POB……… Prevention of Blindness
POB……… Public Oversight Board
POB……… Prepped Out Beyond Belief
POBA…… Patent Office Board of Appeals
POBA…… Persons Overwhelmed By Acronyms
When I come to be old
– Not to marry a young Woman.
– Not to keep young Company unless they really desire it.
– Not to be peevish or morose, or suspicious.
– Not to scorn present Ways, or Wits, or Fashions, or Men, or War, &c.
– Not to be fond of Children.
– Not to be fond of Children…or let them come near me hardly.
– Not to tell the same story over and over to the same People.
– Not to be covetous.
– Not to neglect decency, or cleanliness, for fear of falling into nastiness.
– Not to be over severe with young People,
but give Allowances for their youthful follies and weaknesses.
– Not to be influenced by, or give ear to knavish tattling servants,
– Not to be too free of advise, nor trouble any but those that desire it.
– To desire some good Friends to inform me which of these Resolutions I break, or neglect, and wherein; and reform accordingly.
– Not to talk much, nor of my self.
– Not to boast of my former beauty, or strength, or favor with Ladies, &c.
– Not to hearken to Flatteries, nor conceive I can be beloved by a young woman, et eos qui hereditatem captant, odisse ac vitare.
– Not to be positive or opiniative.*
– Not to set up for observing all these Rules; for fear I should observe none